Life is Yummy Good

V(e)ntage of an aspiring woman and wife. The mother in me speaks on Eesa's blog. The activist, feminist and student in me speaks at Unshackled. This is the blog where I put all the different facets of my life together; to realize and appreciate God, Marriage, Relationships, Love and Life.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Women's Shelter...

Yesterday I accomplished what I set out for 8 months ago. An abused women's shelter serving halal food.

Yesterday, Arise became the first non muslim women's shelter in Ontario to provide halal food for muslim women who have been victims of domestic violence. Although this was a single handed effort for my own pleasure, I feel I have made a difference. That's what my education is all about... making a difference!

Three or so years ago, when NB had her divorce, I tried to find some support groups in Ontario for her. I was saddened to find that not even one existed. None of them served halal food. None of them had support groups for muslims. None of them had language translation facilities for arabic, persian or urdu.

Today. there's a shelter serving halal food. Two shelters with support groups and above all today's there's one entirely muslim shelther (albeit its all the way in pickering) with 8 beds! Its open for non muslims as well, but it is primarily muslim.

As i wait for my law degree, I continue to struggle towards providing hope and support for my sisters. I wish to see that woman blossom while i Counsel her. I wish to continue to plant those seeds as an Advocate. And when after having been a Counsellor and Advocate, I hold that degree, I wish to change the situation to a greater level.

I believe in me. I believe in each and every woman i met yesterday. I believe in each and every woman i will meet next week and the weeks after. Above all, I believe that God will serve justice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home