Life is Yummy Good

V(e)ntage of an aspiring woman and wife. The mother in me speaks on Eesa's blog. The activist, feminist and student in me speaks at Unshackled. This is the blog where I put all the different facets of my life together; to realize and appreciate God, Marriage, Relationships, Love and Life.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Weaving my life..

'So Sheza, are you now a housewife or are you doing something worthwhile?', asked Uncle J over lunch in Washington last week.

I sat there dumbstruck. How do we decide whats worthwhile? Almost anytime someone asks me, tongue-in-cheek, 'So what are you doing nowadays?', I feel like saying, I'm staying at home, taking care of my family. It's as though, in our attempts towards liberalising women, we've made 'taking care of the family', a non accomplishing, menial job!

Raising a child is definitely worthwhile (it'd better be, I'm waging my career and education on it!). During the first year of Eesa's life, I was splitting my hair - ready to rush out and do SOMETHING. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED Eesa to bits. But I felt as though my mind was rusting out and there was no sense of accomplishment (definitely a world of instant gratification we live in!). With a baby that slept nano hours, changing diapers and feeding was my world - and thats all physical work... nothing that challenged my mind. Imran would come home and I'd have nothing exciting to talk to him about. Apart from the regular, minimal, physical work etc, i did NOTHING!

I went back to college, part time, when Eesa was 11 mths old. It was once a week, but well worth the break. Somewhere along the last three years, we've become independent, I've started my own business, gone back to school, started volunteering etc etc. I feel like the changes have made an overall positive impact on me and my family. I network with women that bring with them an array of experiences and backgrounds. I'm no longer just -a- highschool "drop out". I have more to talk about with Imran. We challenge ideas and try to re-align our perspectives positively. I'm more refreshed and energized as compared to when im at home throughout the week. Although I have to admit, it's tougher going to school now than it was during when eesa was 11-15 mths. He's so much more responsive now, that it's heartwrenching to leave him behind. i have to call and chk on him regularly coz i miss him so much.

I've gone all over the place in this rambling. I guess this post is for all those women out there making a difference. Be it within your own home or a few hours outside. It's a matter of what colours you pick to weave the overall effect in the fabric - be it your life, your family or career. What matters most is - what works for you! But let's not judge accomplishments based on pay scales or job status!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger @}--}-- *Ayesha* --{--{@ said…

    I LOVE YOU SHEZ, this is such an awesome post!!!

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Kat said…

    :)hugs for you....!

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger Sondos said…

    Amen, sista :-)

    Thanks for all your uplifting comments, by the way. It's really nice to know that people out there actually relate to me. And I know exactly what you mean about not really being able to tell your husband anything interesting at the end of the day. You give me hope that my chance to go back to school someday is around the corner. And I'm with you--I DESPISE when people ask the "So, what are you doing nowadays?" when you know that they know the answer. What am I supposed to say? "I'm actually running the world in between Ennes's naps and poopie changes."

    Good for you for taking the time out to raise Eesa in that crucial, fleeting first year. We'll never know just how much our babies need us until it's too late sometimes.

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Umm Belaal said…

    So I guess I have to brace myself for comments such as these? It's kinda like a double edged sword...if you say "I stay at home" they may think 'oh that's all?' and if you go out and work and leave your child at daycare they would probably think 'poor kid.' I read an article on MSN on how much money stay at homes would be paid for their work over their life time...it was at least a 7 digit figure.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Umm Belaal said…

    found it!
    http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CollegeandFamily/Raisekids/P37249.asp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home