Life is Yummy Good

V(e)ntage of an aspiring woman and wife. The mother in me speaks on Eesa's blog. The activist, feminist and student in me speaks at Unshackled. This is the blog where I put all the different facets of my life together; to realize and appreciate God, Marriage, Relationships, Love and Life.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Holi


Mumbai celebrated Holi yesterday. I loved the vibrancy that danced the streets of Mumbai. Colours everywhere. Mischief.

As far as India goesin general, I think its glory has been grossly over rated. Don't get me wrong, I love the shopping but ive been trying to find the culture and 'sanskaar' (values) we hear about on tv all the time. The culture seems to have been whitewashed. I dont see those traditional sentiments/symbols/values anymore. Even during holi, the celebrations began with bhang drinking and THAT seemed to be the major theme all around. The essence behind the events seem to have been forgotten. Holi used to symbolize the advent of spirng and the colours therein. It was to symbolize love and romanticism. Now its bhang (wine).

I remember watching saree clad, beautiful women on tv in movies. Now even the saree blouses of average indian women are leftover scraps that barely manage to stretch around them. The elegance and grace has gone.

many of the women now dress in western clothes, the whole cultural and colourful image of an indian girl - gone! call me a traditionalist but i had envisioned a very different india!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home