Life is Yummy Good

V(e)ntage of an aspiring woman and wife. The mother in me speaks on Eesa's blog. The activist, feminist and student in me speaks at Unshackled. This is the blog where I put all the different facets of my life together; to realize and appreciate God, Marriage, Relationships, Love and Life.

Friday, May 19, 2006

da vinci code: demythified.

Sometimes muslims love creating issues just to make everything tough for themselves. Apparently, the more burdensome they make their religion, the more pious they are. Our mosque has been doing that the last two weeks. Firstly on mother's day they proclaimed mother's day is for the kuffar and we shouldnt celebrate it and now the issue with the da vinci code.

Our local imam just delieved a long khutbah on whether or not Eesa(rad) was married and because the quran doesnt mention it, we cant watch movies that say he has a daughter and he was married.

My dad brought up an imp issue saying that its just one of those facts that is irrelevant. like the ashabul kahf, the quran clearly says not to argue whether they were 3, 4, or 7, because it is irrelevant. likewise quran and hadith never mentioned it because it was never relevant whether he married or not. (btw.. for the longest time i thought he was married!!).

I dont agree with the protests because jesus having married isnt defying our religion and is no basis to ban the movie. I jus read an article that questioned what would our reactions be if the movie claimed that Mohammad didnt go on Mairaj but instead went to a prostitute that night. I will definitely be opposed to it, because it goes against my beliefs. This movie will be created just to oppose islamic beliefs and is intended to step on the toes of islam.

But, what if i released a movie that said Eesa is a prophet - not a God. If it's going against the catholic beliefs, doesnt mean its going against ours too. Does it mean it's wrong? Absolutely not.

Infact according to: http://www.rbcdavincicode.org/bta_more.php, many of the things the book teaches is in accordance with islam.

1. "The Da Vinci Code's "alternative view of history" also falsely states that Jesus was not regarded as a God until the fourth century when the Roman emperor Constantine decided it was in his own political interests to unite the empire by giving Jesus "an impenetrable cloak of divinity" (The Da Vinci Code, p.233)."

2. "almost everything our fathers taught us about Christ is false" (The Da Vinci Code, p.235)

Even my dad, who's usually sooo liberal with these thingee's has requested my younger and i not to watch it. Not because of religious issues, but just to avoid getting involved with cults like kabbalah etc etc.

lastly, for those who arent watching the movie because the quran never said he was married and the movie says so... how many other movies that we watch, actually follow the quran?!!!!!!! how come we dont protest those? I can't think of a movie without a lovestory, background music, women improperly dressed etc. It's like those who go about proclaiming indian movies are haraam but sit and watch english movies with their kids.

I'm not saying you should, or shouldn't watch it. i honestly believe... we need to stop making issues out of nothings and start thinking out of the box. We've started making religion soo rigid - entirely based on assumptions.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i could not agree with you moree...
    to create such an issue over something by Muslims tht is not contradicting Muslim/Islamic Faith is just trying to create chaos and argument over nothing - - Christians rioting over this movie is acceptable... its challenging their faith and we all know how controversial religious issues are...
    but i agree with you that Muslims need to just chill; like literally CHILL

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Sj said…

    What I have found is that at times a persons viewpoint of the beliefs they hold is so tenuous.

    I haven't seen the movie yet but did read the book AND I read the book it was based on. (The research book 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail') Many people know I am closely involved in the church I attend and teach there often. These people come up to me and say "So, I guess you aren't going to watch the movie?" and I am ready to respond to why they imagine I would be afraid etc. but then they say: "Because, I'm telling you, if you do go, your entire faith will be shaken."

    I almost don't know how to respond to them. I think we are using the same english words but to each of us they carry different weight.

    It can be scary that someone can go watch Fahrenheit 9/11 and laugh at all those who "bought it" and don't "think for themselves" then go watch this MOVIE and feel their entire faith crumbling.

    ...

    ?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home