Life is Yummy Good

V(e)ntage of an aspiring woman and wife. The mother in me speaks on Eesa's blog. The activist, feminist and student in me speaks at Unshackled. This is the blog where I put all the different facets of my life together; to realize and appreciate God, Marriage, Relationships, Love and Life.

Friday, May 19, 2006

My book will be huge: If only I can publish it.

My book will be huge if I can just get it published
The Ottawa Citizen Wed 10 May 2006
Page: A17
Section: News
Byline: Dan Gardner
Column: Dan Gardner
Source: The Ottawa Citizen
Like most journalists mucking about in reality, I'm thinking of breaking free and writing a novel. I've got the whole thing mapped out in my head. It's got everything. Murder. Conspiracy. And a secret so vast it could destroy a religion and change the course of history.

Hollywood will eat it up. I'm thinking Tom Hanks for the lead. It goes like this. ...

Islam teaches that on one miraculous night, the Prophet Muhammad rode a horse from Mecca to Jerusalem, ascended to Heaven, then returned to Mecca with new directives from Allah.

Except he didn't. In reality, Muhammad was in love with a prostitute. The night he disappeared, he was with her.

His closest followers discovered the tryst and were enraged. The woman was seized and sent into exile, and Muhammad's lieutenants threatened him with death if he didn't do as they demanded. They invented the story of the miraculous ride and Allah's new directives. Muhammad died longing for his lost love.

Shocking stuff. But there's more: The exiled prostitute fled to London, where she bore Muhammad's child. The descendants of that child became the early kings of England. William Shakespeare knew the whole, vast, incredible truth and encoded it in his writing.

The novel begins with the hero investigating a brutal murder. He discovers the code -- and becomes the target of a fanatical Islamic sect that will do anything to keep the truth from being revealed.

I call it The Shakespeare Code.

I know. You're blown away. So was I. How did I come up with this? I really don't know. Genius is a mystery even to the genius.

Of course some cynic may say this is a rip-off of The Da Vinci Code. It's not. It's totally different. The Da Vinci Code is about Jesus, for one thing.

Another difference is that the secret organization in The Shakespeare Code is a fictional Muslim group. In The Da Vinci Code, that role is taken by Opus Dei, a Catholic organization that is very real.

Of course, I would have liked to use a real Muslim fundamentalist group, but someone reminded me of what happened to Theo van Gogh and I'd rather not be stabbed to death, no matter how good that would be for pre-release publicity.

Dan Brown had it a lot easier. Sure, Opus Dei and the Vatican have a reputation for putting the smackdown on heresy, but look at how they responded to The Da Vinci Code. No fatwa. No promise of heavenly virgins for separating the author's head and body. Not even a decent riot. No, all Opus Dei and the Vatican did was explain the historical errors in the book and issue press releases asking for respect. I mean, really. Some people say Dan Brown is a hack, but only a great writer could make that lot sound scary.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about the prospects for my novel, although I have to admit that my first couple of attempts to sell this thing didn't go so well.

The other day I was on the phone with a publisher. My book is about a secret religious sect hiding a terrible secret, I said. She got very excited. "Do you know how many units Dan Brown has sold?" she shouted, a little hysterically.

But when I mentioned Muhammad, she stopped giggling. And when I told her that Muhammad sleeps with a prostitute, she screamed and hung up.

Another time, I had lunch with a New York big shot. I told him I'm writing a thriller about a fanatical religious cult and he loved that. Turns out he hates fundamentalist types. The Pope is a bastard for telling people not to wear condoms, he said.

But the secret society in my story isn't Catholic, I responded. It's Muslim. Its goal is to hide the fact that Muhammad knocked up a hooker and Islam is a fraud.

His face went white and he excused himself to go to the washroom. He didn't come back. I think his salmon mousse was off.

Still, I'm confident this project is going to come together and it will be huge. Just look at The Da Vinci Code. The book is bigger than the Bible, and the movie will be a monster when it opens next week.

Already, the media are going crazy. The papers are filled with tabloid exegesis -- "Mary Magdalene: Wife or Whore?" -- and morning television shows are hyping it as if it were the Second Coming, starring Tom Hanks as Jesus.

I couldn't be more delighted.

A few months ago, I thought this wouldn't happen. It was during the Danish cartoon controversy, when almost every newspaper and television station in North America refused to show the cartoons. We have to respect people's faith, they said. It would be wrong to cause "gratuitous offence."

I remember thinking at the time: poor Dan Brown. At least the cartoons touched on important public issues. The Da Vinci Code is just a crappy novel. Gratuitous offence doesn't come any more gratuitous. When the movie comes out, the media won't have anything to do with it.

Wow, was I wrong. All the media's pious talk went straight down the old memory hole and we're right back to the irreverent, sensational, buck-chasing, free-speech free-for-all that makes Western civilization great. I'm sure those Danish cartoons will be published any day now. Same for my novel.

It'll be big. Huge. If only I can find a publisher who won't run shrieking in terror when I get to the part about Muhammad.

Dan Gardner's column appears Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.E-mail: dgardner@thecitizen.canwest.comEdition: Final Story Type: Column Length: 937 words

2 Comments:

  • At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Shezalldat,

    Read my book first, use my non-fiction base to write your novel, and when you get ready to release your new movie I'll pretend to sue you. Wink, Wink...

    Pay close attention, profundity knocks at the door, listen for the key. Be aware, scoffing leads to blindness...

    There is a way to verify the truth...

    There's a bit more to the story of the Vatican's reaction than most are yet aware of. Read my missive below to understand what they truly fear. It's not the DaVinci Code or Gospel of Judas per se, but the fact that people have been motivated to seek out the unequivocal truth about an age of deception, exactly when they expect me to appear. The Gospel of Judas and DaVinci Code controversies are allowing people to take new stock of the Vatican/Papacy and the religions Rome spawned.

    Remember, "I come as a thief..." ?

    Yes, the DaVinci Code is a novel. It is no more accurate as a literal version of history than is the New Testament. In other words, neither is the literal truth, which is a key fact of the story and ancient history. The primary sub-plot is about purposeful symbology being used to encode hidden meanings, exactly like the Bible and related texts. Arguing about whether the DaVinci Code, Gospel of Judas, or the Bible are accurate history is a Machiavellian red herring designed to hide the truth by misdirecting your inquiry away from the heart of the matter.

    Want to truly understand why we can't let the Vatican succeed at telling us what to think about ancient history? There is a foolproof way to verify the truth and expose centuries-old religious deceptions. It is also the common thread connecting why the ancient Hebrews, Yahad/Essene, Jews, Gnostics, Cathars, Templars, Dead Sea Scrolls, DaVinci Code, and others have all been targets of Rome’s ire and evil machinations. What the Vatican and its secret society cohorts don’t want you to understand is that the ancient Hebrew symbology in all of these texts purposely encodes and exposes the truth about them. Furthermore, the structure of ancient symbology verifiably encodes the rules to decode messages built with it. This is what they most fear you will discover.

    If the Bible represented the literal truth or even accurate history, there would be no need for faith in the assertions of deceptive and duplicitous clergy and their ilk. Wisdom and faith are opposing concepts, because wisdom requires the unequivocal truth where faith obfuscates and opposes it. Religion is therefore the enemy of truth and wisdom.

    It is undeniable the New Testament is framed by ancient Hebrew symbolism and allegory. The same is evidenced in the Dead Sea Scrolls, Gnostic texts, biblical apocrypha, DaVinci Code, and other related texts. All ancient religious, mystical, and wisdom texts have been shrouded in mystery for millennia for one primary reason: The ability to understand their widely evidenced symbology was lost in antiquity. How do we finally solve these ages-old mysteries? To recast an often-used political adage: It’s [the] symbology, stupid!

    It is amazing the Vatican still tries to insist the Gospels are literal truth. It is beyond obvious they are replete with ancient Hebrew symbology. Every miracle purported for Jesus has multiple direct symbolic parallels in the Old Testament, Apocalypse, Dead Sea Scrolls, and other symbolic narratives and traditions. This is the secret held by the ancient Gnostics, Templars, and Cathars, which is presented with dramatic effect in the DaVinci Code. None of these narratives or stories were ever intended as the literal truth. That is a key fact to unraveling ages-old mysteries.

    Likewise, the following Washington Post article ( The Book of Bart) describes how many changes and embellishments were made to New Testament texts over the centuries, unequivocally demonstrating they are not original, infallible, or truthful.

    It's no wonder the Vatican fears the truth more than anything else. Seek to understand the symbolic significance of my name (Seven Star Hand) and you will have proof beyond disproof that Jews, Christians, and Muslims have long been duped by the great deceivers I warned humanity about over the millennia. What then is the purpose of "faith" but to keep good people from seeking to understand truth and wisdom?

    Now comes justice, hot on its heels... (symbolism...)

    Not only do I talk the talk, I walk the walk...
    Here is Wisdom!!

    Revelations from the Apocalypse

     
  • At 6:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    salams babe.. love the new colour.. its so u... lol..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home